Cooking bacon in the microwave can be a quick and convenient option for those looking to enjoy the delicious, savory flavor of bacon without the hassle of cooking it on the stove. Using the microwave to cook bacon can be especially useful when you don’t have access to a stove, or if you’re looking to minimize cleanup.
Additionally, some people believe that cooking bacon in the microwave can be healthier than cooking it on the stove, as it allows you to drain off excess fat more easily. Whatever your reason for wanting to cook bacon in the microwave, it’s a simple and effective way to enjoy this tasty treat.
How to Cook Bacon in The Microwave?
Table of Contents
To cook bacon in the microwave, you will need:
- Bacon: Choose your favorite variety and be sure to grab enough slices for your desired serving size.
- A microwave-safe plate: This will be used to hold the bacon while it cooks.
- Paper towels: These will be used to absorb excess fat and help the bacon cook more evenly.
Preparing the bacon:
To prepare the bacon for cooking in the microwave:
- Place a few paper towels on the microwave-safe plate.
- Arrange the bacon slices on top of the paper towels, making sure they don’t overlap.
- Cover the bacon with a few more paper towels to help absorb excess fat.
To achieve the desired level of crispiness, you can try adjusting the power level or cooking time. Higher power levels will cook the bacon faster, but may also cause it to overcook or burn more easily. Lower power levels will take longer to cook the bacon, but may help it cook more evenly and reduce the risk of burning. Experiment with different power levels and cooking times to find the best balance for your microwave and your personal preference.
Cooking the bacon:
To cook bacon in the microwave:
- Place the plate with the prepared bacon in the microwave.
- Set the microwave to the desired power level. A good starting point is medium-high (around 70% power).
- Cook the bacon for 4 to 6 minutes per slice. Keep in mind that cooking times may vary depending on your microwave and the thickness of the bacon.
- Check the bacon after the first minute of cooking. If it is not yet cooked to your desired level of crispiness, continue cooking in 15-second increments until it is done to your liking.
- Carefully remove the plate from the microwave, as the bacon and plate will be hot. Use oven mitts or tongs to handle the hot bacon.
It is important to use caution when cooking bacon in the microwave, as the hot fat can splatter and cause burns. Be sure to use oven mitts or tongs to handle the hot bacon and plate, and keep your face and hands away from the microwave door to avoid splatters. Also, be aware that the bacon may continue to cook for a few minutes after it is removed from the microwave, so allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving.
How to Best Serving and Storing
There are many delicious ways to serve cooked bacon! Here are a few suggestions:
- Serve it as a traditional breakfast side, alongside eggs, toast, and your choice of breakfast potatoes or fruit.
- Use it as a topping for salads, sandwiches, or burgers.
- Chop it up and use it as a garnish for soups, stews, or baked potatoes.
- Crumble it over pasta dishes, casseroles, or pizzas.
- Get creative and use it as a flavor component in sweet dishes, such as bacon-wrapped dates or chocolate-covered bacon.
If you have leftover cooked bacon, it is important to store it properly to prevent foodborne illness. Here are a few tips for storing leftover bacon:
- Place the cooked bacon in a covered container and store it in the refrigerator within two hours of cooking.
- Bacon will stay fresh in the refrigerator for about one week.
- Alternatively, you can freeze cooked bacon for up to one month. To freeze, wrap the bacon tightly in aluminum foil or plastic wrap, then place it in a freezer-safe bag or container.
To serve leftover bacon, reheat it in the microwave or on the stove until it is hot and crispy. Avoid storing leftover bacon at room temperature for long periods of time, as this can increase the risk of bacterial growth.
How long to cook bacon in the microwave?
Cooking bacon in the microwave is an easy and convenient way to prepare a delicious breakfast. To achieve the best results, it is important to know how long to cook bacon in the microwave. The cooking time will vary depending on the power of the microwave, the thickness of the bacon, and how crispy you like it. Generally, it is recommended to cook thin slices of bacon for 2-3 minutes, and thicker slices for 4-5 minutes. It is important to check the bacon periodically to ensure it is not overcooking. Once the desired crispiness is achieved, the bacon should be removed from the microwave, placed on a plate lined with paper towels, and allowed to cool. Following these guidelines will ensure that your bacon is cooked perfectly every time.
How long should I microwave 5 pieces of bacon?
The exact cooking time will depend on the power of your microwave and your desired level of crispiness. As a general rule, you can microwave 5 pieces of bacon for 4 minutes per slice on medium-high power (around 70% power). Be sure to check the bacon after the first minute of cooking and continue cooking in 15-second increments until it is done to your liking.
What happens if you microwave raw bacon?
If you microwave raw bacon, it will cook unevenly and may not reach a safe internal temperature, potentially leading to foodborne illness. It is important to cook bacon to a safe internal temperature of at least 145°F (63°C) to kill any harmful bacteria.
Is it good to microwave bacon?
Cooking bacon in the microwave can be a quick and convenient option, and many people find that it produces satisfactory results. However, some people prefer the taste and texture of stovetop or oven-cooked bacon. It’s a matter of personal preference.
Do you need to flip bacon in the microwave?
You do not need to flip bacon while cooking it in the microwave. The paper towels on the plate will help absorb excess fat and promote even cooking.
Can you microwave bacon without paper towels?
It is not recommended to microwave bacon without paper towels, as the paper towels help absorb excess fat and promote even cooking. Without paper towels, the bacon may cook unevenly and may splatter fat in the microwave.
What is the easiest way to cook bacon?
The easiest way to cook bacon is subjective and will depend on your individual preferences and resources. Some people may find that cooking bacon in the microwave is the easiest method, while others may prefer the stovetop or oven.
Is it better to fry or microwave bacon?
Again, this is a matter of personal preference. Frying bacon on the stovetop can give it a crispy texture and rich flavor, but it can also be messy and time-consuming. Microwaving bacon can be a quicker and easier option, but some people may find that it doesn’t produce the same level of crispiness or flavor as a stovetop or oven-cooked bacon.
Is bacon better in the oven or microwave?
This is also a matter of personal preference. Some people may find that oven-cooked bacon has a more desirable texture and flavor, while others may prefer the convenience of microwaved bacon. It’s worth trying both methods to see which one you like best.
Hi, I’m Iolanda I am a mother of two and know how to whip up satisfying dishes for friends and family in a seemingly effortless way. The blog goal is reader-oriented, So We are always looking for the newest information about the best products on the market to offer product reviews and tutorials to assist users.Have Fun on The Website