If you’re in the market for an outdoor cooker, you may be wondering if a Big Green Egg or Kamado Joe is right for you.
Both cookers are highly popular and offer a lot of features and benefits.
So, which one should you choose?
In this blog post, we’ll compare the two cookers and help you decide which is the best fit for your needs.
Big Green Egg vs Kamado Joe Reviews
Table of Contents
What is a big green egg?
Big Green Egg is a type of Kamado grill.
A kamado grill uses charcoal or wood instead of gas and works by creating an extremely high temperature with plenty of airflows.
The basic shape of a Big Green Egg is like a half-sphere, but it has a boxier look.
A lot of eggs have been painted green at this point, but the speckled appearance of the ceramic body remains.
This makes it easily identifiable as a big green egg.
- Cooking Grates Replacement for Big Green Egg Large/ (L) BGE, Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill VGKSS-CC2, Kamado Joe KJ-HCICG Classic, Kamado Joe Classic, Vision Grill VGKSS-CC2, Vision Grill B-11N1A1-Y2A.
- 18 3/16 inches in diameter Cast Iron round-pie Cooking Grid Grate.
- Heavy-duty cast iron made, durable, and easy to clean. Cast iron grates not only heat evenly and retain heat superly, but also deliver a professional searing, able to give prominent sear marks to meat/veggies.
- Big Green Egg Cover
- Compatibility: The Night Light for Big Green Egg, a Rotatable, Bright LED Light Is a Rechargeable Light With a USB Cord Used to Recharge the Battery After Use.
- Convenient Design: LED Grill Light Specifically Designed to Fit on Your Big Green Egg Handle. It's Easy to Put On and Take Off, Unlike Other Grill Lights.
- Functionality: This Is Not a Permanently Mounted Light and Has the Great Advantage of Attaching and Detaching in Seconds. Place It on the Handle Just Before You Start Grilling or Smoking With Your BGE. Product Package Includes a USB Cord Used to Recharge the Battery After Use! No More Battery Replacement! There Is NO Other Light Like This on the Market!
- FREE COVER INCLUDED - GIVE YOURSELF ROOM TO PREP - AND LOOK GOOD DOING IT!
- EXTRA WORK SPACE AND STORAGE - JJGeorge 55” tables give you ample work space on top for food prep and serving guests. Store all of your grilling accessories on the large lower shelf.
- FINISHED EASTERN RED CEDAR - Beautiful Hardwood, looks great with any patio décor. Factory finished with clear Spar-urethane. Simple and fast assembly.
- Fits for Large Big Green Egg Only, Fits for Vision Grill VGKSS-CC2, Vision Grill B-11N1A1-Y2A, Kamado Charcoal Grill Accessories
- 18 3/16 Inch Diameter Porcelain Coated Round-pie Cooking Grid Grate
- Heavy duty cast iron is durable and easy to clean; It's important to clean your grill grate after high-volume use. A simple mix of hot water and grill cleaner will do the trick. Cleaning frequency is dependent upon number of uses
[su_button url=”https://www.amazon.com/s?k=big+green+egg+grill&crid=1HYONU4AMHSXU&sprefix=big+green+egg%2Caps%2C1667&linkCode=ll2&tag=silkroadresto-20&linkId=16dc542f177949f323ecfddbab0e51ca&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl” target=”blank” style=”” background=”#f07311″ size=”6″ center=”yes” icon=”icon: share-square-o” rel=”nofollow”]Check Price Big Green Egg Grill and Rating on Amazon[/su_button]
Features of a big green egg
There are many sizes of egg, but they range from large to very large.
This is an advantage for people who want lots of eggs to choose from when looking for corners to fit their egg into or people that just want more room.
The cooker is set at a constant temperature.
For those people who want to cook low and slow, this feature can be helpful because you don’t have to raise or lower the heat as much as you would with other smokers.
Ease of use:
It is relatively simple to use and there are tons of resources online if you need help.
The large lid makes it easy to maneuver food in and out of the cooker.
Eggs can be used as a smoker, grill, or oven which gives you a lot of flexibility with cooking outdoors.
It’s heavy, weighing at about 80 pounds with the legs on, but it will fit into most backs of trucks.
If you have something bigger than a full-size pickup truck, I recommend uninstalling the legs before driving over to your destination.
The ceramic exterior is very durable so it will last a long time.
The inside of the egg can be re-seasoned with certain care instructions, but this will only have to be done every couple of years or so.
Eggs are primarily made from ceramics which makes them more environmentally friendly since they are not made from plastic or other petroleum products.
Easy clean up:
It is easy to clean up the egg since it is all-ceramic.
Ceramic doesn’t hold onto odors, so you can use water and soap to get most of the stuff off
They are expensive and there’s no way around that.
You get what you pay for though because it is high quality.
The egg is designed for BBQ and does a really good job at it.
Not everything cooks as evenly on there as you would expect from a grill, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that the egg does what it’s supposed to do – cook meat.
It’s really cool looking and you can even get custom colors if you want.
The egg is all black on the inside which doesn’t allow for as much heat transfer as some other cooking designs do.
So it does take a little bit longer to cook things – but very few people will complain about that since that’s what they bought this grill for!
1-year warranty on everything except the ceramic body.
If there are any cracks in the body, they will replace it for free if you have registered your egg in their system.
The eggheads are great people and will answer any questions you have about your egg.
So if you’re having trouble email them or give them a call.
The body is made from ceramic which is much more environmentally friendly than other materials.
As stated before, the egg has a limited warranty on everything except for the ceramic inside and outside.
But these parts are designed to last for years without getting damaged.
The BTU is 211,000 which makes it one of the highest in the industry.
The temperature control on a Big Green Egg is different than that on other smokers/grills because the eggs hold their temperature well once they get going.
You can also buy an attachable device for your BGE that will let you set the temperature using a probe inside the grill.
This lets you leave it alone while cooking instead of having to check it throughout the process so often- perfect for overnight cooks!
There are tons of accessories for eggs that you can buy to help enhance your cooking experience or just to make it look better.
You can get a whole setup that includes the cooker, smoker box, plate setter, and griddle!
It’s packed with different options for all kinds of people.
It can do a lot of different things with the plate setter and other accessories.
Eggs are relatively simple to use so even if you’ve never used a smoker, grill, or oven before it’s pretty easy to figure out.
The large lid is what makes it so superior to others on the market with its ease of maneuvering food and checking on you’re cooking.
The bulk of water and meat falls right through this space onto the coals which give you endless options for smoking and grilling!.
Support and communication:
The eggheads are great people and will answer any questions you have about your egg.
So if you’re having trouble email them or give them a call.
They also have workshops where they explain the ins and outs of the eggs to help educate new users on how they work.
The egg is very durable, and you’ll have no problem cooking huge meats or doing long cooks on it.
There are many different sizes of eggs, but they are all designed to last for years without needing anything done to them.
What is a kamado joe?
Kamado Joe is a brand of outdoor cooker.
It’s more of a traditional style of cooking where you put the heat source underneath and the food on top and let it sit and smoke/roast for hours upon hours.
They are very versatile, hard to break, and just overall good at what they do!
- Premium 18″ Ceramic Grill with Cast Iron Cart & Locking Wheels – The Kamado Joe Classic II gives the perfect cooking size of 18 inches along with its Premium cart that comes with the purchase of your grill, including locking casters and wheels.
- 2-Tier Divide & Conquer - Divide & Conquer Flexible Cooking System transforms the humble grill grate into the most powerful cooking tool in your arsenal. The revolutionary multi-level, half-moon design frees you to cook different foods in different styles at different temperatures—all at the same time
- Kontrol Tower Top Vent - Maintains consistent air setting for precise airflow management during dome opening and closing. Constructed of powder coated cast aluminum, the patent pending dual-adjustment top vent is rain resistant and allows you to smoke from 225F all the way to searing at 750F.
- Premium 24″ ceramic grill with heavy-duty galvanized steel rolling cart with locking wheels.
- Patent pending SlōRoller Hyperbolic Smoke Chamber - The first of its kind, the revolutionary SlōRoller leverages Harvard science that transforms a Kamado Joe into one of the world’s most optimal smokers. By distributing smoke and heat in rolling, recirculating waves, the SlōRoller surrounds food in clouds of delicious smoke while evenly distributing heat—resulting in enhanced flavor and significantly reduced hot spots.
- 3-Tier Divide & Conquer - Divide & Conquer Flexible Cooking System transforms the humble grill grate into the most powerful cooking tool in your arsenal. The revolutionary multi-level, half-moon design frees you to cook different foods in different styles at different temperatures—all at the same time.
- Premium 13.5" Ceramic Grill with Cast Iron Stand
- Thick-walled, heat-resistant shell that locks in smoke and moisture at any temperature
- Cast-iron air vent for temperature control
- The Kettle Joe has a 22” surface for a total of 363 square inches
- Efficient ceramic firebox allows for longer cooking times using less charcoal
- The grill has an adjustable hinge which allows you to keep the lid attached instead of having to fully remove and handle the lid
- Jackson, Joseph (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 126 Pages - 07/01/2021 (Publication Date) - Joseph Jackson (Publisher)
[su_button url=”https://www.amazon.com/s?k=big+green+egg+grill&crid=1HYONU4AMHSXU&sprefix=big+green+egg%2Caps%2C1667&linkCode=ll2&tag=silkroadresto-20&linkId=560553f60ca9c8cf6e3a1ca8e366010a&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl” target=”blank” style=”” background=”#f07311″ size=”6″ center=”yes” icon=”icon: share-square-o” rel=”nofollow”]Check Price kamado joe charcoal grill and Rating on Amazon[/su_button]
Features of a kamado joe
They come in many different sizes and each size has its own benefits, but the consensus is that the bigger you go the more expensive it will be.
They can fit a whole pig, ribs for days or just enough meat to feed your family!
The options are endless with these types of cookers.
The kamado joe has a lot of different options when it comes to controlling and maintaining the temperature you want.
The vents on the top, bottom, and even in between allow for a ton of airflow so you can grill quickly or roast slowly depending on your mood!
The kamado joe is a lot more durable than other types of grills and it will last you for years to come!
Many people who buy them end up passing them down to their children or selling them because they’ve become so used to cooking on it.
Easy clean up:
The kamado joe is a lot easier to clean than most other grills and smokers.
The ceramics inside don’t hold on to as much grease or food flavors, so it makes it a bit more of a breeze to clean!
They are harder to find depending on the size you choose but expect to pay $500+ for one that isn’t too big or too small.
You get what you pay for in the case of these extremely well-built, long-lasting cookers!
They are designed to last and look good while doing it. They come in a variety of colors and finishes that don’t wear off over time!
They are best for smoking big meats, but they are versatile enough to grill too.
Kamado Joe is more of a traditional cooker that is hard to beat when it comes to showing up all your friends with the biggest, tastiest steaks on the block!
Most kamado joes have a lifetime warranty so you know they are built to last!
They do come with a cost, but it is well worth the price for such a quality product.
The customer service for kamado joe is great and very helpful!
They make sure you know everything there is to know about your cooker before it even leaves the warehouse so you can use it correctly and safely without any worry.
The material is ceramic which means it’s completely non-reactive.
So you can cook anything on it and don’t have to worry about your food tasting like last night’s dinner.
The BTU or British Thermal Units is the temperature it can get to when in use.
Most kamado joes have very high BTUs so they can cook your food in no time!
The kamado joe is very easy to control when it comes to the temperature with all its vents you can play around with.
There are a ton of different accessories for kamado joe, but the quality ones will cost you a pretty penny!
This is the only downside to owning one of these bad boys.
The standout features of the kamado joe are its size, versatility, and temperature control.
It is extremely different than most other types of grills so if you’re looking for something fun and new then it might be worth your time!
Support and community:
There is a huge community around the kamado joe and many people who love to share recipes, tips, tricks, and support with each other!
This is such an invaluable asset when buying such a different appliance like this one!
The community has built up over the years because of how well it works and how long it lasts.
The build quality of the kamado joe is top-notch and will last you for years to come!
They are very sturdy and well-built, so you don’t have to worry about breaking down or buying another one anytime soon.
The similarities of big green egg and kamado joe
As you can see from above, there are many similarities between both kamado joe and big green egg which include:
These grills cost a pretty penny, so make sure you know what you’re getting into before spending the money!
Ease of use:
These grills are very easy to use and have a ton of different features that make it fun for everyone to take part in the cooking process!
The differences of big green egg and kamado joe?
There are many differences between big green egg and kamado joe which include:
Big Green Egg grills are much smaller than Kamado Joe’s, so if you have a large family or want to cook for a lot of people at once then you need to go with the KJ!
You will be waiting around for your grill to cool down before putting it away after use, whereas the BGE has an awesome feature where you can “put it away while it’s still hot!”
This is especially useful when you’re cooking for a lot of people because you don’t have to wait around for ages letting it cool down!
The BGE has more features for better temperature control whereas the KJ is more basic with its design.
Well, it all depends on what you’re going to use your grill for and how many people you’re going to feed.
If you have a big family go with Kamado Joe, if not then get a Big Green Egg!
What is the primary difference between a big green egg and kamado joe?
The main difference between the two is that Kamado Joe’s are less expensive than Big Green Egg.
However, their customer service and parts availability aren’t as good.
Pros and Cons of a big green egg and kamado joe?
Big green egg Pros:
Fast to get up to temperature due to it being a smaller grill.
Holds temperature well once it has been heated, making sure you save time and money on fuel!
Great customer service and community for learning new recipes and creating great food!
Big Green Egg Cons:
Pricey to get into the Big Green Egg lifestyle.
It can be pricey to start out with all their accessories that make it unique from other grills!
However, this is only a downside if you’re looking for something cheaper.
Kamado Joe Pros:
Good price range compared to the BGE. The kamado joe is much more affordable than the BGE and is a great option if you’re on a budget.
Great customer service and parts availability. Having such a large community around this product guarantees that there will always be people who you can talk to for help/support with your purchase!
Kamado Joe Cons:
The build quality isn’t as good as the BGE; however, it shouldn’t be too much of an issue unless you’re looking for something extremely high quality like the BGE! If not, then the KJ will work just fine and serve its purpose well.
Big Green Egg vs Kamado Joe. All in all, both the Big Green Egg and Kamado Joe are fantastic products.
However, they have a few key differences if you’re looking for something affordable to start out with then go with kamado joe!
If you enjoy being part of a community that shares a passion for grilling, then go with Big Green Egg.
Hi, I’m Iolanda I am a mother of two and know how to whip up satisfying dishes for friends and family in a seemingly effortless way. The blog goal is reader-oriented, So We are always looking for the newest information about the best products on the market to offer product reviews and tutorials to assist users.Have Fun on The Website